Friday, October 22, 2010

Confidence is contagious. So is lack of confidence. - Vince Lombardi

Currently Playing: The Dueling Fiddlers –check them out, they are awesome!


I turned off my alarm, turned on my light, and sat up in bed. And all I could think was “WOW, maybe I really have lost it.” (By “it”, I meant my mind) It was 5:30 A.M. I’d attempted going to sleep around 11 P.M. (probably didn’t actually fall asleep till 1 A.M.), and now I’m waking up to run. Why? Well unfortunately I’m not a professional athlete who gets paid to run, if so I wouldn’t have two jobs right now. Plus, I hate to slack on training and making time for my runs can be quite a task especially when they are seven to eight miles long. Therefore there are times that I've had to sacrifice sleep and other things to get running in.


I’ve been told before that my obsession for running is insane (by more than one person), and that I need to not overdo it, or I’ll be in a wheelchair by the time I’m 30 (seriously, that’s a direct quote from a friend of mine). I realize that many people don’t begin to understand why I’d pound the pavement even when I’m not training for a race. Truth is, I run year round, rain or shine, hot or cold. There isn’t really anything that will keep me from running. I’ve been suffering from severe allergies or perhaps a cold, yet I’m still getting my mileage in. I even skip dinners with friends and going out at night so I could get in a run or get up early and run before work. Even more so than ever, I’ve felt that people don’t understand. But for me, running isn’t about whether other people understand; it’s about what I get from running and why I personally do it (I have lots of reasons, I'll post soon). I know that fellow runners understand the obsession. I'm okay with my obsession and competitive desire to want to achieve more, even if it does make me a little insane.


My runs lately have been going great. This Sunday will mark two weeks till race day (EEEKKK!!). The race is more than just being physically ready; it’s about being mentally ready as well. I’ve ran horrible in many races because I beat myself mentally before I even stepped up to the starting line. By the way, this can apply to many things in life. I’m not talking about knowing your opponent or all the plays but just mentally knowing that you can do it. Occasionally I recite mantras to myself, nothing complex, simply “Just Relax” or “Maintain, Maintain, Maintain”(referring to my pace). I haven’t had someone come out to one of my races in years, mainly because I never invite friends, as I find my running and racing to be selfish, and “my thing.” But when you have no one you know to cheer you on for your long training runs or even on race day, you have to be your own cheerleader. I think about a million things when I’m running, and it’s my time to think and clear my head but every once in a while I will come back to reality and realize the pain that’s setting in, and that’s when I just tell myself something positive. It truly helps – try it sometime you will be surprised!


I apologize that I’ve been so slack about. Training is going great and I’ve raised $400 dollars to date. I’m so excited and appreciative of everyone who has gotten AMPED and supporting me and a great cause.


There are only 2 weeks and a few days left till race day!!! Only $100 to go to reach my goal but hoping to exceed that amount! I’m definitely excited but you all should be too because there will be a way for you to get even more AMPED on Nov 2nd with the BrewSkeeBall Charity Skeeball Event at BluePost Billiards in downtown Wilmington, NC. I will have details to follow soon.

STAY AMPED!

xoxo

Mary Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment