Saturday, October 2, 2010

If you set a goal for yourself and are able to achieve it, you have won your race.


Currently Playing: Mumford & Sons - Sign No More Album

I always seem to have trouble sleeping the night before events; not just races but little things like going on a trip home to Greensboro. I guess it’s the anxiety of not knowing what will come out of the day. With races, I know I’ll run, and in most cases I know I’ll finish (I can’t think of a race I haven’t crossed the finish line, even after twisting my ankle, I still managed to cross the finish line, my time was absolutely horrible but I finished).

I set four alarms so that I wouldn't over sleep for the Run for the Ta-Tas 5k. I hit the snooze button a few too many times yesterday morning which left me with just enough time to brush my teeth and get dressed. I have no problem with not eating before a short run like a 5K, it almost makes me run faster because I just keep telling myself that there is food at the finish line (and at most races there is a plethora of bagels and fruit). It was the most perfect temperature for running yesterday morning. I always ran Personal Records (PRs) in high school in October and November, the cooler weather seems to make me run better. Needless to say I was stoked when my car said it was 65 degrees.

The race went exceptionally well and I was hitting a great pace of 8:15 at times and only slowing to around 8:45 at other times. (Not sure if I have ever mentioned how I track my pace in races. I always run with my iPod but I have the Nike + chip that tracks everything through a chip in my shoe and a connector on my iPod. It is a great tool and the Nike + website is even better.) As I rounded the turn, and the finish line came into view, I just smiled because I knew that my time would be good. I try to hold off on giving it all I have until I can see the finish line to avoid burning out. I finished in 25:56 minutes (This is the official time. In the picture above, it says 26:04 - there's a time delay due my timing chip crossing the start/finish sensor). Which compared to the last race is a huge improvement and probably had something to do with the fact the course was so flat. I collapsed (as I usually do, I’m very dramatic and act like I almost died out there) within 25 feet of the finish line. After I bring myself to sit upright, I enjoy watching the other runners finish. It was great to see so many people come out and support a great cause. All of the proceeds from the run went to The Pink Ribbon Project at New Hanover Regional Medical Center here in Wilmington, NC.

I just want to point out that although women are clearly at higher risk for breast cancer, men can develop breast cancer as well. So I strongly urge any man who feels anything different in his chest to get it checked out. Early detection is key to fighting cancer.

FACTS:

- Exercise pumps up the immune system and lowers estrogen levels. With as little as four hours of exercise per week, a woman can begin to lower her risk of breast cancer.

- Each year, about 550,000 Americans die of cancer; fully one-third of these deaths are linked to poor diet, physical inactivity, and carrying excess weight.

What have you done today to lower your risk of developing cancer?

xoxo

Mary Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment