Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Success is determined by how you handle setbacks

Currently Playing: Pandora.com – Ani DiFranco Station

Don't limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, you can achieve.
-Mary Kay Ash – Founder of Mary Kay

Training had been going quite well, almost too well. I knew that soon enough I’d hit a wall, where I was not progressing like I wanted. Week four of training was wrapping up, and I was dreading my Thursday run of six miles, four of which were to be run at an 8:30min/mile pace. Sure enough, I managed to psych myself out and the run went absolutely horrible; I was unable to hit the steady pace I needed. As I was finishing up the run, I decided there needed to be consequences for my poor performance. I put it in my mind that on Sunday when I was to run seven miles that I’d attempt to run across the two bridges, Cape Fear Memorial and Isabel Holmes Bridge, which are a part of the course for the Battleship Half Marathon.

On Sunday afternoon, the rain began to fall (and hasn’t stopped since); I laced up my shoes, grab my iPod, and headed out the door. I have always loved running in the rain (call me insane – most people do). I find it to be more relaxing because there are fewer people out; it’s just me, the road, and nature. Sounds kind of corny, but I highly recommend trying it some time; you’ll be surprised how much you enjoy it! I headed out to the Cape Fear Bridge first, which is about a half a mile away from my apartment, and started to think that this was a horrible idea. But once I kicked that thought out of my head and just kept telling myself to get to the top, sure enough before I knew it I was headed back down the other side. I slowed my pace from 9:00min/mile to about 9:30 to save some energy for the Isabel Holmes Bridge. This bridge comes in the first mile of the race and can totally zap everything you have if you aren’t properly prepared or you go out too hard. I managed to maintain a steady pace (about a 9min/mile pace) as I made the climb over the bridge. As I finished the bridge, I smiled because I did something that I set my mind to and I knew that come race day I’d be mentally ready to conquer the bridges! The rest of the run went smoothly and I was absolutely drenched by the time I finished. But none the less I was still pumped that I had such an amazing run.

Week five is a pretty easy week of three-4 mile runs at a 10 min/mile pace. One of which has already been a rain run and if this weather doesn’t let up, tomorrow’s run will be wet as well!

October is Breast Cancer awareness month. I’m kicking off the month with the Run for the Ta-Ta’s Saturday, October 2nd at 8am out at Mayfaire Town Center. There is still time to sign up if you want to join in supporting breast cancer awareness! I’d love to see your smiling faces.

xoxo

Mary Jo

1 comment:

  1. Walls are meant to be torn down and hurdled...keep running towards BIG things!

    ReplyDelete