Thursday, September 23, 2010

Help for Today... Hope for Tomorrow


Currently Playing: Tegan & Sara – This Business of Art Album

It was pretty understood that I would become a runner. Besides great genetics, and being a soccer player since I was five years old, I was influenced by both of my sisters who ran cross country in high school. Once I was cut from the volleyball team (I have horrible hand-eye coordination), I realized I needed some other sport to play in the fall, so cross country it was. I have run in hundreds of 5K races by this point in my life, but none have meant more to me than the Women’s Only Breast Cancer 5K in Greensboro, NC that is held every year. I have ran/walked this with my mom and sisters since I was 12 years old. I missed a few years after I moved to Wilmington, but had the chance to run it last year with my mom and sister, Anna.

The Women’s Only 5K run has been going on for the last 17 years and starts and ends near The Women’s Hospital. Proceeds from the Run fund the Mammography Scholarship Fund at The Women’s Hospital, which provides screening mammograms for women who are unable to afford them. In the past 17 years, the Women's Only Run has raised more than $350,000, helping countless numbers of women in the community detect and overcome breast cancer. Last year when I ran, I was overwhelmed by the number of women, and girls that were participating. There are all types of women out there running for many reasons surrounding breast cancer. You see breast cancer survivors wearing pink shirts, you see people with writing on their shirts saying they are running/walking in honor or memory of one of their loved ones who passed away due to breast cancer, and there are runners like me who just love to run and support a great cause. What hit me the hardest was to see a seven year old running with a hand drawn piece of paper pinned to her shirt saying “Running in memory of my mommy.” I realize cancer affects everyone in one way or another but it brought tears to my eyes to see a seven year old who has lost her mother to cancer. Although I’m unable to participate this year in the Women’s Only 5K, I plan to run the Run for Ta-Ta’s 5K here in Wilmington, NC which also is in support of breast cancer awareness.

I have listed out a couple of upcoming 5K races that all support cancer, with the exception of the Bonzer 5K for Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA). I raised money and ran for Friedreich’s Ataxia last year. Friedriech’s Ataxia is a disease that affects the nervous system with symptoms ranging from speech impairment to gait ataxia (difficulty walking), eventually worsening and attacking the trunk and limbs. This is a genetic disease that begins to affect children between 5-15 years old and can cause complete crimpling. It’s a very rare disease and in most cases families who are being affected by it cannot afford proper treatment. One of Outback Steakhouse’s owners has two children who both have Friedreich’s Ataxia, which is why Outback has gotten behind raising money for research.

I know I say it all the time, but there is no better time than now to get involved in helping make a difference in people’s lives. You never know when you or a loved one will be the next to be affected by some form of cancer or life threatening disease.

If you have any questions about these races, from signing up or how to get prepared, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I hope to see you out there!

Sept 25 – Movin’ for Meyloma (cancer of plasma cells) – Carolina Beach, NC
http://www.active.com/running/carolina-beach-nc/movin-for-multiple-myeloma-2010

Oct 2Women’s Only Breast Cancer Run & Walk – Greensboro, NC
http://www.active.com/running/greensboro-nc/womens-only-5k-walk-and-run-2010

Oct 2Run for the TA-TAs 5k & 1 mile walk – Wilmington, NC http://www.active.com/running/wilmington-nc/run-for-the-tatas-5k-and-1mile-walk-2010

Oct 2Susan G Komen Race for the Cure – Charlotte, NC
http://www.active.com/running/charlotte-nc/susan-g-komen-race-for-the-cure-charlotte-2010

Oct 23 – Outback’s Bonzer 5k for Friedreich’s Ataxia – High Point, NC
http://www.active.com/running/high-point-nc/outbacks-bonzer-5k-for-friedreichs-ataxia-2010

Oct 29 – Midnight Run for Ovarian Cancer – Wilmington, NC
http://www.active.com/running/wilmington-nc/midnight-run-for-ovarian-cancer-2010

xoxo

Mary Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment