Saturday, October 30, 2010

“If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.”


Currently Playing: Amy Winehouse - "Back To Black" Album

Its Halloween eve, and I’m planning out my Halloween: Wake up at 6:30, eat by 7:00, get dressed and leave my Apartment by 8:00. By the way, all these times are “A.M.” Tomorrow I’m planning a mock race day, meaning I will wake up at the same time I will on race day and eat the same thing. I’m only planning on running nine to ten miles tomorrow (yes "only"), as I don’t find it necessary to run a full 13.1 before a half marathon. I won’t lie, as I sit here, seven days out from the race: I’m nervous! I always get nervous before races but this race is different for many reasons including the fact that people have donated money to a great cause because I'm running. Mainly there will actually be people at the race that I know, ie: My parents and friends. (And my parents haven’t seen me race since my last cross country race five years ago, and I don’t like to disappoint them.) I’m pretty ready and excited to run tomorrow. But I have been pondering, as I mentioned before, why I run and at times torture my self with this obsession. The following is a list I've collaborated, it's unedited, meaning, I just sat down and thought “Why do I run?” and started typing. For those who don’t run maybe this will help you understand. (By the way they are in no particular order.)

Why I run?

To stay in shape

To relax

To relieve stress

To clear my mind

Because I like to sweat!

Because my butt looks better when it's toned

Because there aren’t too many other ways to slash as many calories in the same amount of time

To ward of my family “Hauser Hips”

Because I like cupcakes and they aren’t low in calories or fat

Because I like beer, and unfortunately that is not low in calories either

To ward of cellulite… as long as I can

To think about whatever I want for however long I’m running

Because I downloaded new music and want to listen to the whole album uninterupted

To keep my blood pressure low

To challenge myself

To beat my previous race time

Because running shoes are cheaper than a therapist!

Because I believe that it is beneficial to my long term health!

Because some people create with words, or with music, or with a brush and paints... I can't but I can run!

There are probably many other reasons why I run, but this is all I could come up with right now. You don’t have a reason to run or workout but chances are, you do! Just thought I’d share mine! Off to bed to get some rest before my big practice run tomorrow. And while most people are nursing their hangovers tomorrow, I'll have already burned 1200 calories! Pretty great way to start the day!

xoxo

Mary Jo

- Picture is me in high school, one of my last cross country races.

No comments:

Post a Comment